Stage 12 Race Report for Le Tour de Seapoint

Stage 12 was a quick one this evening. Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin were commentating my whole race in my head for me... it was great! Will interject their comments as I go along. Here goes...

I broke away from the peleton just one Km from the start and rode the majority of this undulating stage on my own out in the front. ( !) Felt good from the start. Stage consisted of a climb straight off the bat, all the way up to the peak of the mountain and then a steep downhill, a big sweeping right turn and then flattish all the way to the finish line.

Kept my cadence up all the way up to the top. Slowed down slightly when a fan ( a hitch-hiking builder on his cellphone) got in my way and asked me for a lift to the top (Yes, I was on a bicycle). Phil and Paul were talking about my climbing legs at this stage and comparing my 'form' since last year's tour.

Half way up the climb, Johan informed me that I had a chaser on my hands ( a scooter) and that I needed to pick up the pace. I dropped the hammer and powered my way up to the summit ( again, Phil and Paul debating whether or not I had it in me to maintain my break away from the pack all the way to the finish). I got to the summit and gained 16 valuable points as I crossed the line first ( Polko dot jersey is just a few climbs away at this stage) and then set into a good rhythm down the decent where another fan ( a white Toyota Camry) got in my way and I had to use some un-savory language.

I came to the big sweeping turn and steadied my breathing, the scooter had dropped back to wait for the comfort of the pelaton and I set in for a "long lonely ride out front" as Phil put it. The scooter was "spent, Paul... he won't be jumping onto the back of Ritchie's wheel anytime soon and will look for the support of his 'domestiques' and a worthy feed bag back in the pack".

There were plenty of supporters lining the streets ( parked cars on Victoria drive next to Clifton fourth, third, second and first beaches) and I had to navigate my way through with the help of my team car ( an Audie TT that was right up my ass, and wanted to get past me) and the race referee ( a Mozzie's Taxi) as I pushed hard with 3 km's to go. Phil and Paul were talking about how good I was looking for my first tour de Seapoint and how remarkable it was that a girl was out in front. "Those eyes are giving nothing away Phil. Ritchie may be feeling pain but there is no hint of it in her performance" said Paul Sherwin.

I got to within the 2km mark and the race officials slowed me down ( a traffic cop pulling over an overloaded taxi to ask for his licence) but I had the finish within my sights. The pitch of Phil and Paul's voices had risen a few notches ( as they do when there is an unlikely cyclist coming in for their first ever stage win against all odds, you know the voices...?) Phil: "No one ever thought they would see this day. A South AFFrican rider coming in for a stage win Paul. Team Glenrand M.IB ( the riding jersey I happened to pull out of my draw for this evening's ride) is having a dream tour!"

And as I sprinted for the finish amidst the flashes of light ( street lamps turning on along Seapoint main road) I zipped up my jersey, dropped a gear and gave it everything I had to get to that finish line ( the pedestrian crossing outside Saul's Grill and the Kosher Butchery on main road). I didn't sit up and punch the air like the men do- I took my stage win with humility.

I will rest up this evening- get plenty of fluids and possibly a little glass of red wine. But, most of all, an early night to be ready for tomorrow's stage, Stage 13. The peleton will have been angered by my early break-away today and will have the scent of blood in their nostrils. Vive Le Tour!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts