The 5 second rule - a ramble for the day

I watched a very inspiring (albeit a little loud and aggressive) TED x Talk by Mel Robbins yesterday. Among other things, she dropped a nugget of gold that says if you have the impulse to do something, you have to make some physical change, or react in a physical way, before 5 seconds have passed after thinking the thought about change. If you wait longer than 5 seconds, the thought remains a thought and the action potential is lost. 

I love stuff like this. Quick and easy to remember, every day tools to help you navigate your inner voices. So, yesterday I tested the theory out. I had a thought- a worry- about rumors I had been hearing. Normally, I avoid the rumor mill like Tim Noaks would avoid a bakery. But this time, this particular rumor was going to directly affect me and my day to day life. I sat for the 14th consecutive day worrying about the potential outcome if this rumor was to materialize and I thought "how can I have any bearing on this situation." Within 5 seconds I had sent a message to a person who could provide truth of the situation and asked to meet to chat about it. Sure enough, 10 minutes into our chat, the rumor was dispelled and...along with it, my anxiety about the uncontrollable outcome. Funny that.... 

So, here's my ramble for the day. If you have a thought about something, anything, that you want to do, find some physical action within 5 seconds of that thought that will start a chain of reaction to make the thought- come true. It worked for me yesterday, and I have a feeling it will continue to work for me today, and tomorrow, and for all the days to come. Because it's not some hocky-poky theory at play... It's simple science. If you create an action, there will be an equal and opposite reaction. You basically create your own karma... How empowering! 

The rest of my day holds gratifying, hard work. I have downloaded an app to try out to help with planning your workload for big, busy days. And then I'll head out to the bush to photograph a colleague's big day where she will culminate three years of chef school. I'm grateful for today and for all the things it may throw at me. 

Love and gratitude ... 



Comments

Popular Posts