Journeying North: Out of the darkness and into the afternoon bushveld light

My world seems to have been turned upside down recently. From the hatred and pure loathing I have felt over the last 6 months, a new love and appreciation has been born. Rob and I have moved half-way across the country to pursue a dream that we have had for a long time now- working in the African Bush. I wake up every morning with a spring in my step, and an urgency to get to work and start my day. Thinking about it, it still seems ridiculous to call what I do now 'work'. I am beginning to believe the people who say that if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.

Tumultuous skies gave way to happy hearts on our arrival

I have turned a hobby into a career-  something that I loved doing but never really had the time or creative energy for into the thing that I do every day. Photography has now become something that I spend my day doing, learning about and teaching other people about, and I get to free my creative spirit and write for the lodge's blog. I feel ridiculously lucky!

A tribute to my very first Londolozi leopard: Marthly Male. He was old, majestic and absolutely incredible. I will always remember him- with vivid clarity 


Rob and I spent an incredible week driving from Cape Town to the Sabi Sands. We drove through tiny little towns, and got to experience the wide open landscaped, ever changing, of the Klein and Groot Karoo. We spent time in the lush forests of the Karkloof, and drove up to the Highveld and into the Lowveld where we eventually settled into our new home. It has been a wonderful ride, and we are looking forward to many more exciting and adventurous days here in the bush. Here are just some of the amazing memories I have been able to capture so far. There will be many more to come!

05h00 in the Karoo during our Cape Town to Londoz road trip. Photo taken by Rob. 

Sunshine shards breaking through the clouds

Rich South African landscapes were around every corner

Looking back, the Sabi Sands in our midst

Rex at Shaw's Gate- the beginning of something new


Looking forward: vast, open space ahead- both in proximity and in emotional state

The much-photographed, often under-appreciated female impala. I find them incredibly beautiful, especially in late afternoon light

A brief moment of stillness before darting off



Golden flecks dancing in the evening light 

A sea of wilderness and sky 


Alert

Light like butter- I can't get enough as it hops and skips across the bushveld grass


Heavy clouds. Dead trees


Stalking silently through the grass in the early morning 

The red African Sun sets 

I adore the look of the wildebeest skin as it folds and ruffles 


A still-sated Marthly Male 

A sleeping beauty  


We are often treated to Ellies visiting just in front of the camp decks. I sit for hours watching their behaviour- grateful for this opportunity 


Colbert- one of my first friends here. 

A scene I wish to never take for granted: Elephants drinking and feeding along the Sand River in front of the camp decks 

A gnarled old wild-fig tree. Nature is stunningly beautiful here.

Acacia thorns. Prolific in the Sabi Sands
Evening arriving

Ice-cream colours in the evening light

African skies

A common sight in camp- Nyala browse the luscious bushes, safe from predators 

Sentinel: A squirrel alarms 


An elephant bull mock-charges, re-affirming the respect I have for them

Golden light dances across the Zebra's coat

Five weeks in (exactly), I grow happier each day. While my body is feeling weary from working 7 days a week, I find a multitude of things to be grateful for each day. I think that the wise soul who said that gratitude breeds happiness and contentment might just be right.

Comments

Popular Posts